Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Washing wool

Washing wool, when I first learned about how to do it. I wanted a lot done in little time. It wasn't easy. Over time I realized that you should enjoy the journey and not the destination. I tried dawn as a de-greaser and cleanser. I didn't like it as much because in my opinion I thought that it left the wool feeling brittle. I then purchased a bottle of woollite and it was a little better. I bought some Eucalan wash it was expensive to me at the time and I didn't know if it was worth it. I didn't want to use it very much for fear of using it up too quickly and then having to buy more of it. I tried Laundry soap and found that it cleaned it really nice but had the same results as the dawn. It left the wool feeling brittle and there were pills. I even tried a natural soap with the laundry soap, and it was soft and clean, but there were a to many pills. I then decided to use the Eucalan soap. That to me had a really good result (if you have the water hot enough). water has to be at 110-125 F, on the thermometer. You also have to let it set for 30 min, and you don't even have to rinse it. Now I don't tend to be the expert but it was pretty good to have some success with no pills and clean, lanolin free wool. I am sure that there are other different ideas about washing wool out there that I haven't tried, that could be better. Let me know, I Love to experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment